Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Show 524 Tuesday 9 October


Watch today’s show at YouTube or BlipTV.


Hi, I’m Sarah. Welcome to The Daily English Show.
Today’s guest is Mike. He’s in his fourth year at Acadia and he’s studying history. He also writes for the student newspaper. And I asked him if it was difficult to find the time to write for the paper and study at the same time.

If I want to become the student that my mum wants me to become, yes, definitely.
But if I want to be the, ah, the journalist student that I’d like to become, it’s surprisingly easy. Once you just decide to go and do it.



STICK NEWS

Kia Ora in Stick News today, New Zealand is in a state of shock after their national rugby team, the All Blacks, were beaten in the quarterfinals of the World Cup.

New Zealand’s national sport is rugby union. The national rugby union team is called the All Blacks.
It says in Wikipedia that the All Blacks are a formidable power in international rugby and are the top-ranked team in the world.
The Rugby World Cup has been held every four years since 1987. The All Blacks were the first ever champions and they finished in the top four in the next three tournaments. But this year, they were eliminated in quarter-finals.
On Sunday, the All Blacks lost to France. The New Zealand Herald said: It was a case of gut-wrenching deja vu for the Kiwis with the French repeating the second-half comeback that saw them eliminate the All Blacks in the 1999 World Cup.
Since Sunday, thousands of people have commented under the question on the NZ Herald site: Why do you think the All Blacks lost?
Many blame the team’s arrogance or the ref. While other’s suggested people stop moaning.
It's a game, one person wrote, - nobody dropped bombs on innocent NZ families, Mt Ruapehu did not blow half the North Island away. New Zealand is a beautiful, lucky country with much more to be proud of than rugby - sad that so many Kiwis are still too All Black-blind to see past an oval ball.


And that was Stick News for Tuesday the 9th of October.
Kia Ora.





conversations with sarah
#324 Why are you studying history?

Step 1: Repeat Sarah’s lines.
Step 2: Read Sarah’s lines and talk to Mike.

Sarah Why did you choose Acadia?

Mike I chose Acadia because I knew the area. It was familiar. I knew that it was an excellent school. And, ah, my parents went here, so, ah, there’s a history of it.

Sarah Why are you studying history?

Mike Ah, because I’m not good at science. I’m absolutely terrible with numbers. I don’t have the drive for business. Ah, but I read a lot of books and watch a lot of movies. Um, it was either history or ... work at a burger joint.

Sarah What do you want to do after you graduate?

Mike Ah, I intend on either becoming a journalist. Ah, hopefully an online journalist, like a professional blogger. Or hopefully just get published and be able to live off of just writing. You know, fiction, ah, scripts, comedy, whatever.

Sarah What do you do at the student newspaper?

Mike Ah, I’m the opinions editor there. I pretty much just write about student politics or national politics or sometimes international politics. Anything that is considered a hot button issue in any way.

Sarah What do you most enjoy writing about?

Mike I definitely enjoy writing about politics. Um, but, mostly I enjoy culture. Like writing about different culture, my own culture, ah, counter cultures, sub cultures. Ah, just the way that others express themselves. The way that ah, others express themselves, the way that I express myself. It’s just, it’s so interesting, so I definitely am a culture writer.

Sarah What would you like to write a book about?

Mike I would like to write a book ... I’ve, I’ve always answered time travel. Not in a scientific manner or a serious manner. But just because I don’t think people have had enough fun with the concept yet. You could definitely do a good 800 pages of completely ridiculous comedy about time travel.



notes

a burger joint = a fast food shop selling burgers

joint (noun, informal) an establishment of a particular kind

off of - this is North American grammar. In NZ we just say "off" - "... be able to live off just writing".

hot button (noun, North American) an issue that is highly charged emotionally or politically

links

today's news

today's STICK NEWS pictures

Rugby World Cup results

All Blacks - Wikipedia

ABs at the World Cup - Wikipedia

music

show start
artist: AdHoc
album: Toutes directions
track: La note en cage
from: Annecy, France
album at Jamendo
artist at Jamendo
artist site

cws start
artist: San Sebastian
track: Happy Sad
artist site

qa start
artist: Manu Cornet
album: Distance & Temps
track: Silk Road
from: Paris, France
album at Jamendo
artist at Jamendo
artist site

qa bgm
artist: Olga Scotland
album: Scotland Yard
track: New Year Evening
from: Moscow, Russia
album at Jamendo
artist at Jamendo
artist site

Did you notice a mistake in this script? Please leave us a comment and tell us! We really appreciate people pointing out our mistakes.Thank you.

Have you have translated this script - or part of it - into your language for English practice and published it on your blog? Please leave a comment and a link so other people can read your translation. Thank you.

No comments: